It has been extremely gratifying to serve as the president of our association this year. I am so happy to have had the chance to meet many of you at our events and look forward to seeing you in the future. Now is an important time for our profession with exciting opportunities for us to expand access to care. I would like to quote from the WSPA webinar invitation on ESSB 5557 Pharmacists as Providers:
Washington State is taking the lead in being the first state to require reimbursement by medical insurance carriers of pharmacists for care provided to patients. Numbered ESSB 5557, this legislation was ushered through the legislative process in the spring of 2015. The legislation required the formation of a Collaborative Workgroup. The workgroup’s deliverables have now been released… details for implementation still need to be outlined for the profession. In response, the WSPA is forming four workgroups to aid in the development of tools and guidelines.
It is important for you to be involved in our professional associations. Please consider joining the WSPA and the WSPA’s Legislative and Regulatory Affairs Council. Remember you can join the SPA and the WSPA at the same time.
I am thankful for your membership in the SPA! We have had a fantastic year:
- We have established the SPA as an official Washington State University student group.
- We have strengthened our relationship with the Spokane Regional Health District and have participated in the Tobacco Task Force and Immunization Action Coalition of the Northwest.
- We have provided excellent CE and networking opportunities for members, including an innovative pediatric immunization training.
- We have extended our CE program to on site offerings to support our area health systems pharmacies.
- We have started our Community Pharmacy Forum which will strengthen community pharmacy practice.
- We had another excellent Annual Meeting were we learned from University of Washington School of Pharmacy Dean Sullivan and recognized an outstanding pharmacy, pharmacist, technician, and pharmacy student.
I very much look forward to next year under our new president Land Vierra. We need your continued membership and involvement. Please renew your membership in the SPA today. Together we will make a difference for our profession and our community.
Thank you for the excellent work that you do every day!
2015 Spokane Pharmacy Association President